Thursday, April 3, 2008

Land of Equal Opportunity? Really?

If you are feeling patriotic then you probably shouldn't read this! I have some serious venting to do. As some of you know this has been a little bit of a rough pregnancy for me. I can’t complain too bad though because as far as we can tell the baby is healthy and doing great! I haven’t been sick or anything like that just in a lot of pain in my back and problems with bleeding, early contractions and such. So during this pregnancy I’ve had a bunch of ultrasounds and tests and been put on bed rest on and off and on and off and on again. Also to back up a bit as everyone knows, I’m a Canadian citizen and therefore am not eligible for Medicaid coverage. I am covered under the Emergency coverage only. This means that I have to pay out of pocket for EVERYTHING which has been very expensive but thanks to my angel mom, she has helped us out a ton with a lot of the bills. Well now that some time has past, we are starting to get bills in from having to go to the hospital several times and let me tell you I’m feeling a little bit panicky. So I called Hoosier Health Wise and for those of you who don’t know what it is, it’s the Medicaid system here in Indy. I called them the other day to see if they would help pay for some of the hospital bills since I was sent there by my Dr. as an emergency. Every time I call there someone has a different story about my case and what I’m really eligible for. So I find out that in all actuality I’m only eligible for Emergencies and there for can only have the baby in the Emergency room if the Gov. will cover it! So now I’m really panicky because I’ve been having to go to the hospital a lot lately to be monitored and have steroid shots to stop early labour and boost the babies lungs incase he comes early. So my venting and anger is this, why is it that illegal immigrants can get all the free care they want and are totally taken care of when I’ve paid my dues and immigration fees and am doing it legally and have to pay? Why is it that when I get a job I have to pay taxes out of my pay check for Medicaid and other government funded programs but receive no help? Why is it that with a job the Medicaid office counts my pitiful earnings against me even though I receive absolutely no help from them? Why is it that refugees and again illegal immigrants only have to be in America for 1 year and then can become a lawful permanent resident with out the paper work and fees that I had to go through? I just don’t think that it is fair that I have a US citizen husband, a US citizen child and another US citizen child on the way but yet there is nothing that the Gov will do to help me. So I’m a little bit upset and very worried about things right now. I apologize for the venting, I don’t want to use this as that but I really needed to get it out and vent my feelings! It will be a keep sake forever, I know that this is a learning experience for us and I know that Heavenly Father will take care of us and I know that everything will work out but I still am worried about it. Wo is me I know. I’m not looking for sympathy or anything like that just wanted to get it off my chest. I’ve been calling a gazillion people trying to see if I can get on the pregnancy Medicaid plan and been leaving tons of messages. We’ll see, we are praying hard! Can we say socialized medicine???

6 comments:

Mel said...

Oh my gosh! I had no idea the struggles you were going through with this whole thing. I am so sorry. I am with you on this one. I don't understand that "criminals" people who sneak into the country can receive more help than you. It is just ridiculous. I wish there was something that we could do. Maybe you should right a letter to your state government and give them a piece of your mind on the issue. Okay, so there is my little rant Well, best of luck. I pray that everything will work out for you and that the baby will not have any further issues. Take care of yourself!

Cecily said...

Oh Sarah, that is really frustrating. I didn't know you were having such a rough pregnancy. I hope the Medicaid system comes through for your pregnancy. I agree that if they won't help you, why would they take out Medicaid expenses from your paychecks! How frustrating. I pray that everything will work out for your family.

: (

Tricia said...

Makes me so thankful we live in canada... sure our wait times are longer... (for example jayna needed tubes in her ears and it took a month for her to get the surgery) but every one is entitled to healthcare. It is our basic privliage and right. but we pay %40 of our income to taxes.... HA
still i never worry about medical care and "how much will this cost" or "do i have coverage for this?"

JLB Family said...

I know what you mean. That is why I am still working and I am a citizen and can't get it....I hope things get better.

Jill said...

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Eventhough I'm not in favor of socialized medicine, what you are going through is unfair. I have serious issues with illegal immigration. I will pray for you and hope for the best. There has to be a loophole somewhere....Hang in there...

Ashley and Cody said...

I really do feel for you and I just don't get our medicaid system. I am just glad you didn't have the baby early and we will definitely have to hang out together!! Hang in there and if you need anything don't be afraid to call.